livelihood generation program
Artisan formation and livelihood generation program
Our History :
Name of the project/ program : Artisan formation and livelihood generation program
Date : 2016-2017
Venue : Gondia District of Identified five villages
Participants / trainee : Artisan and traditional bamboo art craft workers
The proposed area was once well known for the bamboo mat weaving activity. Bamboo mat weaving was the sole source of livelihood for majority of the population belonging to the underprivileged section in the area. The whole family was used to be engaged in this occupation of mat weaving and they never felt need for migrating to other places or engaging in other labour activities. Such were the golden days of this occupation that nobody in the family ever felt need of seeking any other work outside the village. But, now it has declined so much that only rare families are found to be engaged in this activity and that too restricted to the older people. It has become impossible for the family to meet all their needs by solely depending on mat weaving work. Now, all the younger people are forced to work as a labourer in agriculture and allied sectors in the village. Many times they have to migrate to faraway places because of the unavailability of employment opportunity in the vicinity.
The processing centre will provide opportunity for artisans to revive their age old occupation by means of technological advancement and market oriented product designs. The project would provide permanent infrastructure for the basic needs of training, designing, processing and marketing to the artisans.
- To promote the growth of the bamboo sector.
- Promotion and marketing of bamboo mat boards.
- Production of the best quality bamboo mat boards through the blend of both the traditional methods and technological knowledge.
- Institution and capacity building of the artisans in the project area.
Identified villages are well connected by the roads. All the villages have bamboo artisans located in their vicinity. The processing centers established considering the easy distribution of bamboo and collection of bamboo mats.
The facilities to be provided through small scale bamboo livelihood generation are enlisted below:
- Training Centre: The Training center offer rural artisans opportunity to get acquainted with various activities involved in the manufacturing of bamboo mat board. The training center train the youths in bamboo mat weaving techniques and upgrade the skills of traditional artisans. The firsthand experience of operating various machines provided to the artisans through training center.
- Chemical treatment unit: Bamboo needs chemical treatment to improve its strength and longevity. Chemical treatment unit have all the facilities for bamboo treatment. Where beneficiaries train to chemical treatment and other process of treatment
- Design center: Design center have the professional designers. They engaged in the development of market oriented designs of bamboo mats. All the required facilities made available through this center for designing needs.
- Primary processing center: The primary processing of bamboo like stripping the bamboo, coloring, dyeing performed through this center.
- Manufacturing unit: Bamboo mat board manufacturing unit established. Various types and sizes of bamboo mat boards will be manufactured as per market demand.
To generate the artisan earning sources and continuity of the business we focus on workshops, training, capacity building and formation of artisan group so this flow lead ahead of objectives to reach the livelihood generation
Workshops Program- we conducted workshops on bamboo Plantation, bamboo art and craft product and its market, bamboo harvesting and cultivation and its available market, this are such topic which we focused and conducted workshop program
Training Programs- Training we have given the training to artisans about the bamboo art crafts, mats, daily household usage products and furniture table/sofa/chair etc. Training provided to the artisans for their skill enhancement in mat weaving techniques and designs. Artisans trained in primary processing of bamboo and operating the required machines.
Capacity Building Programs- Technology interventions to improve the quality of the bamboo mat, better technology in terms of designing and machinery provided. This also ensures greater productivity in shorter duration of time. Tool kit for the bamboo mat weaving had been given to each of the artisans.
Formation of Artist groups –Mobilization of artisans this program let to mobilizing the artisans group and identifying as what stages and skills they have. We trained them for the creating of different product which can be sold in the market. The artisans were in the focus of proving them with needed skills up gradation which were the need of honor. Three hundred plus artisan have livelihood and better life them previous.
We have garnered the huge data yet we are only focusing on the key finding in the evaluation report. In the awareness program we have found that many people were not aware about the present development in the art craft making. They were limited to local markets and the reach out was limited. Traditional bamboo art craft family’s current generation is not that interested in entering into bamboo craft making. We have found the people who were interested and mobilized them into different groups in the villages. We have given the training to those who linked themselves into the organization. Then we have conducted the workshops who were interested in making bamboo art craft. In the workshop we have given them information about the latest technical development and explaining them the market linkages.
The programs conducted were limited and could not be at larger scale due to failed or formulate cluster development. The necessity of funds was one of the main points due to which we could not take the activities in other areas. We have conducted the training and workshop into five villages. Though we have successfully have formed the artisan groups.
As a result, the product output in the market is severely lacking both in quality and quantity. The quality does not match the international standards. And since the artisans do not have appropriate training and access to modern tools and machinery, they cannot supply large volumes. The gap between the finishing quality and design of the traditional products and the market demand is huge. As a result, the artisans have to sell their products in local markets at low prices resulting in economic loss. On the other hand, the consumer does not get the products as per his/her choice and standard. Hence the supply chain of Bamboo products does not complete.